Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The 18 Martial Arts

I think Wang Leehom's latest album was aptly titled "The 18 Martial Arts" because Leehom is indeed versatile and talented. He doesn't stick to one genre but is constantly trying out different genre and different sounds like R&B, hip-hop, combining Chinese ethnic minority music with modern music and so on. Maybe that's why I'm a big fan of Leehom. I like variety so I don't have a favourite genre. If you ask me today what's my favourite genre, I may say hip-hop but if you ask me the same question next week, I may say rock.

In "The 18 Martial Arts", Leehom combines chinese orchestra with pop music. I didn't like it at first it could be because I'm not as exposed to chinese orchestra compared to western orchestra but after listening to the album a few times, I'm starting to appreciate it. So if you know of any chinese orchestra performance nearby do let me know. I guess appreciating this new sound created by Leehom is a cultivated taste. You've got to listen to it a few more times in order to enjoy it then you'll want to listen to it the rest of your life.

I'm game for whatever new sound Leehom is going to create in the future. Here are the music videos to some of the songs in the album.






Vicky

No comments: