Friday, May 7, 2010

3D2N Penang: Day 2

If you don't know your past, you'll be like a leaf that doesn't know you're part of a tree - The Little Nyonya

Woke up early in the morning. Had breakfast at Line Clear near my hotel. This place is famous for it's Nasi Kandar but since I don't really fancy Nasi Kandar so I had Roti Canai and teh tarik instead. After that, we walked around Chowrasta Market. This market is way better than the night market in Batu Ferringhi. I think the one in Batu Ferringhi is catered towards tourists while you'll usually see locals at Chowrasta market. Saw the famous popiah skin maker, didn't buy any because I don't have the ingredients to make popiah there. I wouldn't mind just eating the popiah skin (it's fresh!) but my friend would think I'm weird.

After walking the whole stretch of the market, we took a CAT shuttle bus which is free of charge to Little India. Little India wasn't what I had in mind, maybe I went there too early. After that, I had a plate of Char Kuey Teow at a coffee shop a stone throw away from Pinang Peranakan Mansion. When I finished my Char Kuey Teow, we walked over to the Pinang Peranakan Mansion. It looks small from the outside but huge in the inside. I like the architecture of this house as well as the Baba Nyonya culture. I think the people in those times were innovative and resourceful. The tour guide was good in explaining the Baby Nyonya culture and lifestyle. I think he watched "The Little Nyonya" too. "The Little Nyonya" and "Iron Lady" was filmed in Pinang Peranakan Mansion. The tour guide also gave some tips on how to live a long and healthy life. Among other tips he gave, he warned us not to use plastics and Styrofoam.

After the tour in Pinang Peranakan Mansion, we walked over to Jin Shi for some tea. I drank tea and rest while my friend drank tea and read the books there. Then we headed to Fort Cornwallis, Esplanade and the surrounding areas to take some pictures. When we are done, we took the CAT shuttle bus to Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion. "Blue Mansion" was filmed here. Cheong Fatt Tze is super rich and I think he is a good business man. The guided tour is at 11am and 3pm sharp. It's a hotel too but I think I would have to pay through my nose. By the way, Cheong Fatt Tze is opposite the hotel where I stayed, Cathay Hotel.

We had dinner in Gurney Drive. I had fried oyster, assam laksa, tau foo fa and many more there. While waiting for the bus back to Komtar, I talked to a couple from Indonesia who were waiting for the same bus. They stay near my hotel. My Bahasa Malaysia is still good because they understood every word that I say and I was able to converse with them fluently.

When we got back, we went to Red Garden opposite my hotel for supper. I had Ais Kacang which came with a scoop of ice cream on top. They also added some soda into the ais kacang.

Vicky

P.S. Day 3 tomorrow. Pictures are on my Facebook.

1 comment:

penang hotels said...

Malaysia has some fantastic hotels that serve exquisite food like the hotel in Penang I stayed at.