Saturday, May 8, 2010

3D2N Penang: Day 3

My last day Penang. Since I slept late the night before, I decided to wake up slightly later today. Had wan tan mee for breakfast at Chowrasta Market. The difference between the wan tan mee here and the one I usually have in KL is the one I had has lard in it making it tastier which also means that it is non-halal.

Went back to our hotel after breakfast as we have to packed our bags and check out before going for the ground tour arranged by our hotel. Actually, they contacted a local tour guide and told the guide that we're interested in a tour. The guide picked us up from the hotel at 9.30 a.m. in his car. Along the way, he pointed to us various places of interest like Penang Governor house, Millionaire Street, Christian Cemetery, famous schools and hospitals.

Our first stop was Kek Lok Si. To go to the Pagoda, entrance fee is RM2, while to take the cable car up to the Kwan Ying statue, it cost RM4 return ticket. After that I had Assam Laksa and coconut water at a coffee shop near Kek Lok Si.

After that, he took us to Coffee Tree where we can try out all sorts of coffee, chocolate, tea and honey for free. You name it, they probably have it. The place looks popular with Middle Eastern tourist as I saw a lot of notices or signs written in Arabic. The Penang White Coffee is nice, in fact it's the most popular coffee among customer in the shop judging by the number of packs on display. I bought some home.

The next stop is Penang Botanic Garden since we can't go up to Penang Hill. Though we can either take a jeep up which is expensive or hike up which is something I might do in the future with a bigger group of friends. You can hike up to Penang Hill from Botanic Garden it takes about 1-2 hours depending on how fit you are. There are plenty of monkeys at the Botanic Garden and they dare to snatch water bottles from tourist.

Next, we went to see the reclining Buddha (4th longest in the world) which is in a Thai temple and a Burmese temple opposite. That was our last stop then the guide dropped us off at our hotel. From our hotel, we went to a shop nearby for lunch. Then we went to McDonald's in Prangin Mall to kill time since we have to be at Five Stars office to wait for the van to send us to Sungai Nibong bus terminal at 4 p.m. Arrived in 1 Utama around 9.30 p.m.

I hope to go back to Penang again some day. The next time to stay at Hard Rock Hotel and probably to hike up Penang Hill (if I'm fit enough.)

Had a great holiday in Penang
Vicky

P.S. Pictures of my Penang trip are on my Facebook.

No comments: