Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Staying indoors using Facebook

April is coming to an end, Labor day tomorrow. Do you know that labor day in US is on September 1?? I know this is so random.

My favorite networking site is Facebook. I started using it after my 18th birthday last year. What a great gift to myself!

I use it mainly for networking as in to add friends, add application, join groups, become fan. I know for the past few days I have been becoming fans of a few singers/musicians. I also found out which friends are fans of those artist I like.

Other than that, I use it to chat with friends by writing on their wall. Recently, I have been writing back and forth on Simon's wall about American Idol season 7.

An application on facebook you must add is Farmwars, it's created by my friend studying in NUS for her project. So you must add it to show support. Actually, the game is a combination of Harvest Moon and Warbook but it's more like Harvest Moon.

Well, facebook is used mostly by my english-speaking friends. I have a mixture of english-speaking and mandarin-speaking friends.

Someone once told me that networking is important especially in the business line. So one way to network is through social networking sites like Facebook. Another way to do networking is by attending events where you can meet people with similar interest. I think you can find plenty online or in newspapers, it's just that whether you want to go or not.

My college is having CIMA conference but the problem is the word conference. Whenever people mention the word conference, I would always think of sitting in a big hall, listening to people talk. Well, isn't that what a real conference is like?

The conference in my college is not about that, it's more of playing games especially treasure hunt that it has created a bit of diseconomies of scale. Diseconomies of scale happens when increased production cause lower output. In this case, I attended 2 ACCA conference last year, both did the same thing, we played treasure hunt. So if I attend a 3rd one, eventhough it is CIMA conference but a rose by any other name smells the same. So the conferences would be the production and my response to it is the output.

I'll probably make new friends, expand my network, but won't enjoy myself. I'll complain a lot after the event and I wouldn't gain much compared to attending a bona fide conference.

Hoc Mun, maybe you're right. I think I'm a homey. I don't like being outdoors so much. I can't stand the weather, it's so cooling inside and you won't get skin cancer so why bother going outside and expose yourself to so much free radicals?

At the end of the day, it depends where I'm going to. Lifehouse or Lee Hom concert, I'm interested. Movies like Narnia, shopping, I'll be so ready to go. But camping and other outdoor activities where you have to spend long hours under the sun, I would think twice and see if my friends are going, if they are, most probably I would go. I would also have to see the cost involve whether tangible or intangible.

No comments: